Here are a few links for your weekend reading:
- “Risk-assessment experts say that…the way we respond to various sports injuries reveals a lot about how we assess risks.” via the New York Times
- Why do similar retail stores and bars tend to cluster in a small geographic area rather than spread out? via Megan McArdle.
- Are academics bad writers?
- Are 401ks a failure? Shifting risk in retirement accounts via Ezra Klein (Washington Post). As a saver, I love being in charge of my retirement savings, but I worry about how little others in my generation are apparently not saving for retirement.
- “The Unwritten Laws of Engineering by W. J. King was first published in 1944 as three articles in Mechanical Engineering magazine.” Part I of III.
- The Joy of Baking (Optimally) by Tallys Yunes is a joy to read (be forewarned: it will make you hungry). This blog post also contributes to the first INFORMS monthly blog challenge on OR and the holidays.